The conference is scheduled to take place in Hamburg, Germany, on 11-12 November 2020.
The aim of the event is to present future-oriented approaches for improving equal opportunities in the research system, to discuss these with representatives of the Member States as well as third countries and to develop them further for the European Research Area. Experts from the Member States will also be invited.
The purpose is to give vital impetus for structural gender equality and diversity in the European Research Area. The keynote speakers and participants in panel debates and forums will discuss suitable strategies and visions for enshrining equal opportunities in organisational structures and strengthening the integration of gender aspects in research throughout Europe.
Due to current contact restrictions, the conference will be held in a digital format on 11‑12 November 2020.
The first programme items will be posted on 11 November 2020. From early December, all programme items will be available online as separate videos. You can also register to take part and follow the programme live on 11 and 12 November (a link will soon be provided for registration). Some programme details are provided in the following.
Opening [live on 11 November 2020]
- Dr Michael Meister
Parliamentary State Secretary to the Federal Minister of Education and Research
- Maria-Luisa Cabral
Skills and Social Adviser in Commission President von der Leyen’s team
- Katharina Fegebank
Second Mayor of the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg
Laudatory speech [live on 12 November 2020]
- 20th anniversary of the CEWS Centre of Excellence Women and Science at the GESIS Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences
Professor Matthias Kleiner
President of the Leibniz Association
Keynotes and introductory talks
- Ample and equal opportunity? Gender equality as a constitutional task
[live on 11 November 2020]
Professor Maria Wersig
President of the German Women Lawyers Association
- Women in leadership positions in research: empirical insights and practical recommendations [available from 11 November 2020]
Professor Claudia Peus
Technical University of Munich
- The impact of sex and gender on research excellence [live on 12 November 2020]
Professor Sabine Oertelt-Prigione
Radboud University Nijmegen
- One Voice Does Not Fit All: on the diversity of evidence-based science communication in the coronavirus pandemic [live on 12 November 2020]
Professor Marylyn M. Addo
University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf
International panel debates
- Equality-oriented structures in European academia [live on 11 November 2020]
Experts will discuss the current status of gender equality in the German research system and provide their views on further development.
- European/international prospects and challenges regarding the structural integration of gender issues in research [live on 12 November 2020]
Experts will discuss the problems and challenges involved in stronger structural integration of gender issues in research and consider which specific areas of action should be addressed.
Round table [available from 11 November 2020]
- On the way to the top: female careers at universities and research institutions
Women report on their successful careers in science and research
Moderators: Vincent-Immanuel Herr and Martin Speer
Digital presentation of practice examples [available from 11 November 2020]
- Presentation of good practice examples from Germany regarding equal opportunities in the research system
Information film [available from 11 November 2020]
- The Women Professors Programme of the Federal Government and the Länder –
a success story